At Lavacon last month I gave two presentations: one traditional and one…Not. We all know that I like to experiment right? TC Camp, TC Dojo, TC Mastermind groups are my most successful and well known. This time, I decided I would write up three skits and let the stories convey the lessons I wanted to get across in my presentation.
I wrote up three skits:
- Bookbrains Anonymous meeting
- Richard Simmons inspired DITA Fitness informercial
- DITA Cult member induction
Continue reading “Great seeing you at Lavacon!”
Tracy Baker and I had a full table and intense discussion on the topics on the minds of the people in attendance. Real time issues and ideas for possible solutions. Topics ranged from reuse strategies to getting started to review processes to getting it all done while still doing your day job. Before we got started, we asked everyone to give us a little information: who are you, what industry do you come from, and what’s on your mind/what brought you to this BOF table. The participants included:
- Erin (Telecom) who is in unstructured FrameMaker and wants to know how to planning the move to DITA (“it’s exciting and scary”). She’s also interested in contextualized content
- Eric (Services) says he’s listening in so he can get a better sense of things
- Cecile (Healthcare, from France) is moving to DITA from XML and she’s wants to talk about reuse strategies given that she expects that her XML modules will become to multiple DITA topics
- Abbie (Services) is here to learn
- Liz M (Services, Abbie’s coworker) is also here to learn
- Bob (Medical Device) is looking for questions
- Ed (High Tech) is also moving from XML to DITA but he wants to be sure they’re doing it for the right reasons. He’s also got a legacy data concern and seconds the request to talk about reuse strategies.
- Renee (High Tech) is tasked with fixing a DITA environment. She wants to talk QA, processes, staffing roles
- Moderator: Tracy Baker from F5, DITA early adopter
- Moderator: Me, Liz Fraley from Single-Sourcing Solutions and the moderator of the TC Dojo Mastermind sessions.
Tracy Baker is a regular at the DITA NA conference. She’s from F5 and started her road to DITA in 2009. She’s an Information Architect, a writer, a tools person. She wrote the Information Model that F5 still uses today. In fact, only two elements have been added since she wrote it originally. It’s been a long road and it’s only this year, in 2015, that all the documents published for all the products have been 100% DITA. She’s worn a lot of hats but warns that “you can’t wear all the hats. You can try. You will die.”
Together, Tracy and I moderated the discussion and what follows are notes from the conversation. Tidbits, tips, suggestions, and advice for the folks at the table. One-on-one time for them to get their burning questions answered, their comfort levels…well, leveled. Continue reading “Notes from the DITA Best Practices BOF lunch at CMS DITA NA Conference”
This year our Liz Fraley will be presenting at the Content Management Strategies/DITA North America conference in Seattle, WA April 28-30, 2014. This has been a good conference over the years and we’re looking forward to it. Here’s what Liz is going to be talking about:
[bq id=”about” type=”simple” author=””Concepts of Library Science” Presentation by Liz Fraley” author_gender=”f” profession=”CEO” company=”Single-Sourcing Solutions”]Have you ever bookmarked a site only to go back later and be unable to find that site in your bookmarks? Have you ever bookmarked a site twice — only to wonder why you tagged it the way you did? Have you wondered how you will find the right content to reuse given hundreds of thousands of content library source files? Have you wondered about effective metadata tagging across your team?
Fraley discusses the foundation of library science and how it can help searchers working with an ever-growing library of content. Learn key strategies that will put you in the best position to execute effectively so you and your team can meet the increasing demands of creating, managing, and distributing content.[/bq]
Interested? Still time to register!
[infobox id=”bonus” title=”Drop by our table for a chance to win” href=”#” button_text=”We’re Exhibiting”]Find the special collateral in the bag that all attendees get. There’s something on there to help you pass the time between sessions. It’s super cute and good fun, too. Plus, when you turn it in at our table, you get a chance to win something fun.[/infobox]