Structured Authoring allows ease in content reuse, and Arbortext tools assist in making this process more efficient for editors. The newest addition to Editor is the Resource Manager. The Resource Manager detachable window is the central location for finding data and reusing it in a document. The Resource Manager displays the appropriate tabs based on the type of document you are editing. Arbortext Editor saves the state of the Resource Manager as part of your window configuration, so you can change the default location and size as desired. This article will focus on the use of the Resource Manager to find and add content.
- The Resource Manager appears by default when you are editing a DITA map, docked to the left side of the Arbortext Editor window. However, you can dock the Resource Manager to either side of the Arbortext Editor window or use it as an undocked dialog. You can dock and undock the Resource Manager by dragging it or by double-clicking on its title bar.
- The Resource Manager is on the left side, and the topic tab is selected. This will allow the editor to search for topics to include in the document. Also, the editor can filter the types of topics that are shown by using the “Type” drop down at the bottom of the window. The insert drop down will show the allowed types for insertion.
- The Topic tab in the Resource Manager can also search for topics across the internet using the Browser button. This will connect to your browser, and allow you to search the internet for allowable content then return the content to the Resource Manager for addition to your document.
- The Resource Manager can be used to search for content references. This content reference tab allows the editor to search for reusable content inside DITA topics and display them. The type drop down will allow the editor to select the desired content, and the insert drop down will filter out the elements.
- The editor is able to select content and drag it to the desired place in the document, or click on insert and it will be placed where the cursor is on the page.
- The New Topic tab in the Resource Manager allows the editor to select the type of topic to be created, and insert it where desired. When the editor types in the title, it automatically fills in the file name and ID fields. The folder where the file will be saved can be selected in the folder field. This shows the default topics allowed, but and new topics created for DITA by the editor will be available in this view.
- While editing any of the maps with Resource Manager, an individual topic can be edited for content by double clicking on the topic. This will launch Arbortext Editor with the topic selected to be edited. When the editing is done, close Arbortext Editor and continue editing the DITA Map.
Using the Resource Manager to create and edit DITA Maps makes the process much easier for the editor. The Resource Manager is a tool that allows you to find and insert content from the file system, from a content management system, or from the web and place it into a single document. This makes the job of content reuse in DITA far easier for the editor.
Was this tip helpful?
Post to the comments or send an email to let us know.